For most people, a strange aching upper right abdominal pain after a meal could be common, but for some, it could be a sign of gallstones. Gallstones are one of the most common gastrointestinal conditions caused by too much production of cholesterol or bilirubin. People usually try managing this condition by trying a home remedy for gallbladder stones or following certain ways that facilitate gallbladder stone removal naturally.
Most patients with gallstones are asymptomatic, but in some cases when the stone blocks a bile duct, the patient may experience abdominal pain and other digestive symptoms. In most cases, gallstones are treated effectively with gallbladder removal surgery. But, in the past two decades, there is a huge development in the non-surgical options for the management of gallstones.
Continue reading to know more options for gallbladder stones treatment without operation.
Table Of Contents
Types of Non-surgical Treatment Modalities
Gallbladder removal surgery is the best treatment option for people with symptomatic gallstones. But, if a person is unwilling or unable to undergo surgery then they can opt for the following non-surgical treatment modalities:
- Oral bile salt therapy: This therapy is recommended for stones that are formed from cholesterol, not from bilirubin. In this therapy, drugs containing certain chemicals, such as ursodiol or chenodiol are administered orally to dissolve the gallstones. Depending on the size of the stones, it may usually take several months or years for the stones to dissolve.
- Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy: Although it is a common treatment option for kidney stones, for gallstones it is used in rare cases. In this therapy, high-frequency sound waves are passed onto the stones to break them into pieces or small fragments. During this therapy, an endoscope and surgical instruments are used to remove the stones.
- Methyl tertiary-butyl ether (MTBE): In this therapy, an MTBE solvent is injected into the gallbladder to dissolve the gallstones rapidly. But, according to research, this therapy is associated with serious adverse events, such as severe burning pain.
These non-surgical approaches may work, but the effect of the procedures doesn’t last for the long-term. The stones begin to develop again once the therapy is stopped and hence these are usually not advised in clinical practice.
Cholecystectomy or gallstone removal surgery is the best and standard treatment option for gallstones. It can be done in two ways:
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy: In this procedure, a laparoscope (a thin tiny flexible tube with a light and video camera at an end) is inserted by making small incisions on the abdomen to remove the gallbladder.
- Open cholecystectomy: In this procedure, one large incision is made on the abdomen to remove the gallbladder.
In addition to being an effective treatment, the cost of gallbladder removal surgery in Hyderabad is much affordable. The cost ranges from 50,000 INR to 1,00,000 INR in Hyderabad.
How to Dissolve Gallstones Naturally?
Although there is no scientific evidence, many people try the following remedies, which they believe may help in dissolving gallstones naturally:
- Drinking lots of fresh fruit juice
- Using apple cider vinegar
- Doing yoga
- Maintaining a healthy body weight
- Avoiding saturated fats and refined sugars
Best treatment option for gallstones is surgical removal of gall bladder. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy is considered gold standard for gallstones treatment
Reach us via mail or call us for the best gallstones treatment. Our specialist, Dr. Parthasarathy is one of the most renowned surgical gastroenterologists in Hyderabad, India. He has about 15 years of experience and has performed 3000+ advanced laparoscopic procedures.