Incisional hernia Surgery in Hyderabad
Dr. Parthasarathy is one of the best hernia surgeons in Hyderabad. He has over 15+ years of expertise in treating hernias. At our center, we have performed hundreds of Incisional Hernia surgeries successfully. We make use of advanced laparoscopic surgery for hernia to provide the best possible results for our hernia patients. If you or your loved one is suffering from Incisional hernia, you can reach out to us on +91 73309 90044 to avail world-class Incisional Hernia care in Hyderabad.
Table Of Content
- What is Incisional Hernia?
- What are the Causes of Incisional Hernia?
- What are the Symptoms of Incisional Hernia?
- What are the Treatment Options for Incisional Hernia?
- Laparoscopic Surgery for Incisional Hernia
- Can Incisional Hernia Cause Complications?
What is Incisional Hernia?
Incisional hernia is a condition which arises when a surgical wound does not heal properly, and a muscle, tissue, or even a part of any organ protrudes through that wound. When such a protrusion results through a surgical wound, you will face excruciating pain and even swelling in that region. In the worst cases, strangulation of organs can also occur due to incisional hernia.
What are the Causes of Incisional Hernia?
Some of the causes of incisional hernia include:
- A surgical wound.
- An incisional hernia occurs mainly because the muscle layers are not strong enough. So, when the patient is old, the incisional hernia is common.
- When there is an increased intra-abdominal pressure just after an operation, an incisional hernia can occur. This pressure might result due to a chronic cough. So, if the patient suffers from any lung problem just after the operation, which leads to persistent cough or vomiting, an incisional hernia can occur. When too much pressure builds up on a fresh incision, it cannot keep the pressure and thus breaks.
- Lifting heavy weights just after an operation leads to incisional hernia for the same reason as above, that is, building up too much pressure on the incision.
- Incisional hernia is also caused when you have multiple surgeries through the same incision.
What are the Symptoms of Incisional Hernia?
The symptoms which result due to an incisional hernia are:
- An infection around the wound is a common symptom.
- You will be able to see a lump in the region where your last incision was done.
- Bowel obstruction is seen in patients in whom the incisional hernia results in the strangulation of intestines.
- Excruciating pain in the abdomen near the incision is also seen in complicated hernias.
What are the Treatment Options for Incisional Hernia?
An incisional hernia cannot be treated by medications alone. You will have to go for surgery to get relief from this condition. Two types of surgeries can help you repair the condition of incisional hernia and they are:
- Open hernia repair
- Laparoscopic hernia repair
Laparoscopic Surgery for Incisional Hernia
While the traditional open surgery involves making a large cut to treat the hernia laparoscopic surgery can do it with three small cuts and with less blood loss.
A small tube at the end of which a camera is attached is inserted inside your abdomen through a small incision and then the hernia is repaired. The surgeon can clearly watch everything inside your abdomen on a monitor. This surgery has minima pain and the patient is usually discharged the next day. Return to normal activities happens in a week’s time.
Can Incisional Hernia Cause Complications?
Sometimes the hernias become massive and thus become difficult to operate. When the intestines protrude through the surgical wound, the can be pushed inside, but it might result in blocking of those intestines. Strangulation of intestines can also occur due to the hernia, which will slowly lead to damage intestines when the blood supply is cut off to them.